Jack Handey is a real person!

Posted by Bushel Basket in

Holy Crap, the "Deep Thoughts" guy from Saturday Night Live is a real person! Here is his wikipedia entry. His ability to write and quickly take you in unexpected directions is astounding.

He has a new book out, "What I'd Say to the Martians: and other Veiled Threats." I'll be buying it soon, but until then here's some of his totally funny and totally unattributed writings:

  • Before insulting a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets mad, you're a mile away - and you have his shoes.
  • Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh because, what IS that thing?
  • If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
  • When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
  • One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.
  • Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words: "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.
  • If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is, "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is, "Probably because of something you did."
  • To me, it's always a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, 'Hey, can you give me a hand?,' you can say, 'Sorry, got these sacks.'
And my favorite:
  • If God dwells inside us, like some people say, I sure hope he likes enchiladas, because that's what he's getting.


Creative Commons License

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at Wednesday, April 16, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment